Achievements – Putting YOU and the community first
“In my previous eight years as a Councillor and over 40 years as a divisional resident, I have worked hard for the community and achieved many outcomes.
“Vote for me so that I can continue to work hard for YOU, the residents of Division Nine. YOU are my priority.”
Some of the larger achievements previously delivered by Bruce Dunne during his time as a Councillor and community representative have included:
- Establishing the Coolum boardwalk, viewing decks and Pt. Perry pavilion and decks.
- Standing up against constant development pressure and maintaining the communities wishes by not allowing any development to be built over a three-storey limit.
- Refusing developments that were larger than appropriate to maintain a village atmosphere.
- Upgrading the Coolum Skate Park and playgrounds, fitting them with shade covers and establishing the coastal fitness trail.
- Being instrumental in achieving a community native nursery suitable for growing salt-tolerant, coastal plant species.
- Rolling out a program of an extra $200,000 per year for street works, pedestrian crossings and traffic lights.
- Undertaking and completing the highly successful ‘Coolum Land Use and Traffic Management Plan.
- Supporting the community in the successful fight against the original Lend Lease masterplan for the Hyatt residential sites.
- Initiating the ‘Coolum Safe’ program, versions of which have now been established across many regions of the Sunshine Coast.
- Showing strong support for major regional events and recognising their important economic value to the area.
- Always being accessible to divisional residents.
- Assisting the needs of the many community groups including Lions, Meals on Wheels, Coastcare, local Boardriders, Resident’s Associations, Surf Lifesaving Club, sporting groups, religious groups and the area’s schools.
- Successfully leading the Environment Department for six years, during which it was awarded seven major State and National Environmental Awards. He also helped to implement the acclaimed Maroochy River Recovery Program.
- Actively participating in additional internal Committees such as Environmental Dept. (Co-Chair), Shire Services Dept. (Chair) and the Planning Dept. (Deputy Chair).
Some of the many smaller scale projects delivered by Bruce have included:
“I am proud to have been able to deliver many new initiatives to protect the environment, support youth facilities and programs and assisting the needs of the many community groups including Lions, Meals on Wheels, Coastcare, local Boardriders, Resident’s Associations, Surf Lifesaving Club, sporting groups, religious groups and the area’s schools.
“I believe a Councillor should always be accessible to the people they represent and with eight years as a Councillor and 24 years Council experience, I have a proven track record of reliability and dedication to looking after our community.”